8 Mar 2018
In these days of add-on air travel, checked baggage and carry-ons are limited, so it’s easy to overpack for your Los Sueños, Costa Rica vacation. The number one reason people bring too much stuff? Because “it” may not be available “there.”
This couldn’t be further from the truth. “It” may be a different brand, but tourist-oriented shops have what you want, especially in, and around, Los Sueños Resort & Marina.
Start with what you absolutely need for your Costa Rica vacation:
- Clothing: Think mix & match, smart casual, 4 or 5 changes of clothes, including bathing suit(s), a long-sleeved shirt, a lightweight jacket or sweater, hat, and sensible walking and water shoes. HRG Vacation rentals all have a washer and dryer units, so you can always do a load of laundry if you need to.
- Medications & First Aid: Bring prescription drugs in the original containers and a small first aid kit that includes antiseptic wipes and creams, Band-Aids, and whichever over the counter pain reliever you prefer.
- Toiletries: Bring what you use daily, but you can leave the shampoo, conditioner, body wash and blow dryer at home; these will be provided in every vacation rental. Other items you could include are waterproof sunblock and repellant, though these are readily available for purchase just about everywhere.
Things you may want to bring:
- Gadgets: We know it’s hard to live without our E-Readers, laptops, cameras, smart phones, and iPods, but try to limit the number of items you bring. For instance, if you want candid vacation pictures, leave the camera home and rely on your phone or tablet, which can double as a navigation aid too. If you do bring your gear, consider how you’ll protect it from rain and humidity, as well as theft (there are safes in every rental property, but backpacks and rental cars can be vulnerable).
- Credit and debit cards: While you’re still at home, empty your wallet. Keep only the cards you need, and leave everything else.
- Identification: Along with the real thing, bring along copies of your passport, credit card details, and driver’s license with an emergency contact. Leave originals in the vacation rental safe.
- Backpack or day bag: A must have carry-on for the plane, this will also be handy while you’re out and about, exploring Costa Rica.
- Kid stuff: Limit the kiddos to a couple of favorites, a book or two (better yet, opt to download the Epic App to your smart device), and an activity book with crayons (great to have on the plane), and, of course, “wubbie.”
Get it in Costa Rica:
- Child and baby equipment: Rent the big stuff in Costa Rica. From car seats to porta-cribs, you’ll likely find what you need with your car rental service or with the concierge at HRG. Worried about availability? Check in with us before you head our way.
- Beach and pool gear: Beach towels, blow up pool toys, sunhats, and flip-flops are on sale everywhere and they are not expensive; they can also make great souvenirs. Also, most condos provide beach towels and so does the Los Sueños Beach Club.
- Over the counter meds: Pharmacies in Costa Rica have doctors on staff for advice and recommendations. You only need a prescription for antibiotics, psychotropic drugs, and opioids. Los Sueños Resort also has a well-staffed clinic on-site with bi-lingual doctors.
- Adapter plugs: Costa Rica is the same as the U.S. and Canada so no need to worry about these.
- Music: You may want to consider headphones or a small, waterproof Bluetooth speaker for some tunes on the beach or poolside. These can be found at your local RadioShack or Maxi-Bodega in Jaco.
Knowing what to pack eliminates excess baggage fees, extra bag fees, and the hassle of hauling it around the airport. Besides, you’ll need to leave some room for mementos from your trip. HRG Vacations
Reach out today; the HRG Concierge staff can tell you everything you need to know about what’s waiting for you at Los Sueños Resort in Costa Rica.