Your vacation at Los Sueños can be active & exciting, or relaxing & tranquil. We’ve put together our top picks for dining, tours, activities, and a little “R&R”. From the entire HRG team ~ Enjoy your stay!
When you land in Costa Rica:
- Be sure to stop at the Kolbi Kiosk in the airport baggage claim area to get a local SIM card for your unlocked smart phone (Verizon iPhone doesn't need to be unlocked) -- you'll save a bundle on roaming fees and have access to helpful travel applications such as Waze or TripAdvisor; plus, you'll have a phone in case of emergencies. Finally, about $20 should get you all the data and phone calls you'll need (even to the States!) for an entire month. If you need to dial home in the states, be sure to dial 001 first, then the area code and number.
- When coming into Costa Rica, you can stop in at Duty Free and pick up wine, liquor and beer at a huge savings. There is a liquor store located right in the baggage claim area.
- Traffic can be bad from San Jose airport on Fridays, and back to San Jose on Sundays, so plan ahead and leave time. Normal drive time from Juan Santamaria to Los Sueños Resort is an hour and fifteen minutes; give yourself at least 2 or 3 hours if you have to get to the airport for a flight on a heavy traffic day. Also, Waze can tell you what's happening with traffic on the roads!
Great food is an integral part of any great vacation.
Los Sueños/Playa Herradura:
- Start your day with the delicious breakfast buffet at Los Sueños Marriott Resort Hotel.
- Stop in for a leisurely lunch at Los Sueños Beach Club: There is great swim up bar and restaurant - and bar/food service all over the club. Makes it easy, especially for families!
- Got a sweet tooth? We love Dulce Vita for an ice-cream or other pastry. Enjoy it in the outdoor seating of Marina Village. They also have full breakfast and lunch menus from the restaurants.
- Head for Herradura Beach and grab an ice-cold beer or michelada along with some fresh ceviche at El Pelicano just outside the gates of Los Sueños Resort. They have great fried whole snapper and local “casados” for lunch.
- Happy hour at The Hookup Bar & Restaurant in the Marina Village is a terrific way to end the day. Overlooking the marina, it’s the perfect gathering spot to exchange stories of the day’s adventures. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Hire a private chef to prepare your “catch of the day” – or anything else your heart desires! Just ask your concierge; he’ll help you set it up!
- North End Pizza is great for when you just feel like ordering in (though you may need to pick up!)
- Beachfront seafood dining at El Hicaco, located in midtown Jaco Beach with great service, scenery, and sumptuous cuisine - what more could you ask for? Highly recommended for groups of friends, or even a romantic escape for the couple in the group (just ask your HRG concierge to schedule a sitter!). Wednesday night is ALL YOU CAN EAT LOBSTER!
- Dinner at Graffiti Restro Café & Wine Bar at Jaco Walk. Try one of their signature dishes that people rave about - cacao and coffee encrusted tenderloin.
- Free Yoga classes at 10 am at Padma Wellness Senter on Sundays in Jaco.
- Rioasis Pizza located in Jaco Center just across the main bridge…best pizza in the area.
- Live music every night at the Green Room Restaurant on main street. Great cocktails and food.
- Jaco Walk is an open-air plaza full of great restaurants, including Tsunami Sushi, Juanitas, Hamburguesia, Side Street Café, and Graffiti, as well as a playground, yoga studio, shops, and fun street fountains.
- Breakfast at Vida Hermosa is a great call – especially on the weekends. Watch the surfers from the terrace dining overlooking the beach. Rustic and fun place to chill.
- Spend a leisurely Saturday afternoon at Backyard Bar for barbecue and the surf contest. Every Saturday starting at 3 pm. Call HRG for reservations.
- We love Bowies Point for great, casual al fresco dining right in front of the ocean. Also, pets are allowed!
Ready for Adventure?! Get your adrenalin pumping, your imagination revving, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
- Crocodile tour - Imagine getting up close and personal with these great wild beasts; an interesting and exciting tour, this is one that should not be missed.
- ATV tour - 2-4 hours of fast and furious sight-seeing through the jungles of Costa Rica and some incredible waterfalls. Ride in side-by-sides or quads.
- Go fishing - There’s nothing quite like the excitement of wrestling a big beautiful marlin, with the “It was this BIG” story to share afterwards.
- Manuel Antonio National Park - One of the most eco-diverse parks in the country and a must do when in the area. Monkeys abound (watch out for your stuff - they’ll nab it if they can!) along with a plethora of other jungle flora and fauna. We have awesome guides and suggest a full-day van trip with our best guide.
- Canopy tours - Take a leisurely ride right through the forest – or fly over the top like superman. An experience not to be missed and suitable for every member of your group, no matter what the age.
- Private surf lessons in Jaco - You know you always wanted to learn! Now is your chance, with outstanding surf instructors, gentle waves and big, beginner boards that are readily available for rent. Great for the kids while the parents sip cocktails and take photos.
- Horseback Riding to waterfalls is a great way to explore the beauty of this special area.
- Hit a few rounds on the 18-hole Championship La Iguana Golf Course.
- Ocean Ranch has a variety of tours with many options for fun and adventure.
- Head for Esterrillos and Hotel Alma del Pacifico for a great day on the beach.
- Take the Quad tour and hit up El Tajo bar.
Watch the waves, catch a sunset, get pampered . . . or just chill out. These things put the cherry on top of your luxurious vacation at Los Sueños Resort.
- Don't miss out on sunset at nearby Villas Caletas; delicious drinks, good company and bocas are the perfect way to enjoy it.
- An in-room massage after a long day of adventure is the perfect way to pamper yourself while on vacation. Send the kids to the pool, or set them up for a day at the Kids Club, and enjoy the peace and quiet of your luxury condo or villa, have a deep tissue massage, and truly sink into relaxation. Massage isn’t the only spa service available; ask about in-house body scrubs, wraps, manicures, pedicures and more!
- Try the spa at Villas Caletas, or any of the other wonderful, world-class day spas within the resort or in Jaco. Just reach out to your concierge at HRG; we’ll schedule you in!
- Grab a good book and lounge by the pool. You’ll have the option of your own private pool at your villa, the community pool at your luxury condo, or Los Sueños Beach Club.
- Take a sunset cruise - sit back, enjoy a refreshing drink, and watch the sun sink into the horizon. Ahhh . . . paradise.
- Be sure to ask the concierge desk about a great deal on a golf cart rental for the week; it’s a great way to get around the resort!
- The Beach Club allows coolers, so you can bring your own full of drinks if you choose. Keep in mind that no glass is allowed by the pool, however, so put your wine in a water bottle that will keep it cool, and bring canned beers.
- Don't feel like lugging a cooler to the Beach Club? Not to worry; Al Fresco Restaurant is right there and wait staff will bring you menu with wonderful snacks, meal items, and plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks to keep you satisfied.