23 May 2018
Finding things to do for everyone in the family may be a challenge at other vacation destinations, but not at Costa Rica’s Los Sueños Resort and Marina. When, and if, the kids are tired of the pool and beach, here are some other nearby options to consider for that family excitement.
- From Manuel Antonio National Park, kayak through the estuary and mangroves to Damas Island. Guides take visitors in 1- or 2-seater sea kayaks to explore this unique biome during a 3-hour tour.
- The Original Crocodile Tour also takes visitors by boat up the mangrove estuary and the Tárcoles River for a look at the local crocodiles. The Crocodile Man also hand feeds the crocs at certain times of the day.
- Marine mammals—humpbacks from the northern and southern hemispheres migrate to Costa Rica’s Central Pacific coast to wait out the winter. From Guanacaste to Golfo Dulce, whales feed, rest, play and raise their calves just offshore in small groups. Many dolphin species live year-round in Costa Rican waters; other species visit for mating and rearing their pups.
- Arribadas of Leatherback and Olive Ridley sea turtles nest in large numbers along the Guanacaste coastline from Tamarindo south, including some areas near Los Sueños.
- Take an ATV tour across beaches and creeks and through the rainforest around Jacó. You can customize your tour to include stops along the way.
- Try a horseback ride on a private ranch near Jacó. Choose from morning or afternoon exploration of the beach, rainforest, and grasslands. No experience required.
- Try a waterfall/canopy tour—climb up and rappel down a waterfall, as well as fly through the rainforest canopy. Guides will point out the native flora and fauna around you, as well as brief you on safety and equipment usage.
- Sail out to Tortuga Island for a day of sea and sun. Snorkel or scuba dive, hike or sunbath, or try your hand at paddle boarding. While not suitable for very young children (a long day in the strong sun), nearly every amenity is available for your comfort during your 4- to 5-hour visit.
- Raft the Savegre River with confidence. Several tour operators run guided full or half-day trips down the river’s Class II-III rapids, complete with transportation and all equipment.
HRG Vacations staff at Los Sueños can answer your questions and advise you on the best tour for you and your family. Our 24/7 concierge would be happy to book your tour.