With so many activities to choose from, your dream vacation at Los Sueños Resort & Marina can be anything you want it to be and more! Active & exciting or relaxing & tranquil, you decide. For your convenience, we’ve put together some helpful tips, options for dining, tours, activities, and some options for a little “R&R”. We hope you enjoy your stay!
From the entire team at HRG ~ Welcome Home!
Once you’ve landed in Costa Rica
When arriving at the airport in Costa Rica, you can stop at Duty Free and pick up wine, liquor and beer at a huge savings. There is a liquor store located after you’ve exited immigration and before entering the baggage claim area.
Plan Your Route
You will need to account for heavy traffic on certain days of the week including Friday afternoons from San Jose airport to Los Sueños and again on Sunday driving from Los Sueños back to the airport in San Jose, so plan ahead and leave time. Normal drive time from Juan Santamaria Airport to Los Sueños Resort is an hour and fifteen minutes. Give yourself at least 2 or 3 hours if you are traveling to or from the airport for a flight on a heavy traffic day. Also, Waze is a very helpful application that can tell you what's happening with traffic on the roads!
Where to Eat
We know great food is an integral part of any great vacation. Here are some of our top picks!
Los Sueños/Playa Herradura
Lunch & Dinner Options
Los Sueños Beach Club - Stop in for a leisurely lunch at Los Sueños Beach Club. There is a great swim up bar and restaurant with bar/food service offered throughout the club making it especially easy for larger groups and families! Note, you can bring your own cooler with drinks and snacks, but keep in mind that glass is not permitted in the pool area. We suggest putting your wine in a water bottle that will keep it cool and bring canned beers or other soft drinks.
Al Fresco Restaurant - Don't feel like lugging a cooler to the Beach Club? Not to worry; Al Fresco Restaurant is right there and wait staff will bring you a menu with wonderful snacks, meal items, and plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks to keep you satisfied.
El Pelicano - Head over to Herradura Beach and grab an ice-cold beer or michelada along with some fresh ceviche at El Pelicano just outside the gates of Los Sueños Resort. They have great fried whole snapper and local “casados” for lunch. Tip: they will also cook the fish you catch!
North End Pizza - is great for when you just feel like ordering in (though you may need to pick it up!) They also have chicken wings, quesadillas, salads, etc.
Lanterna - Bringing the aromas, charm and flavors of Italy to Los Sueños, Lanterna Ristorante Italiano offers the best of both worlds, traditional Italian cuisine and delicious beef steaks along with signature seafood dishes. All set against the backdrop of the Los Sueños Marina. The perfect choice for a relaxed elegant meal during your stay.
Dolce Vita - Got a sweet tooth? We love Dolce Vita for an ice cream treat or pastry. Enjoy it in the outdoor seating of Marina Village. They also have full breakfast and lunch menus from the restaurants.
The Hookup Bar & Restaurant - Happy hour at The Hookup in the Marina Village is a terrific way to end the day. Overlooking the marina, it’s the perfect gathering spot to exchange stories of the day’s adventures. Open for lunch and dinner throughout the high season, mid November through April.
Hire a private chef to prepare your “catch of the day” – or anything else your heart desires! Just ask your concierge; they will help you set everything up!
Jaco & Playa Hermosa
Lunch & Dinner Options
El Hicaco - Beachfront seafood dining at El Hicaco, located in midtown Jaco Beach with great service, scenery, and sumptuous cuisine - what more could you ask for? Highly recommended for groups of friends, or even a romantic escape for the couple in the group (just ask your HRG concierge to schedule a sitter!).
Koko Gastro Bar - Located beachfront in Playa Jaco. It's one of the best and reasonably priced restaurants in town, a local favorite.
Graffiti Restro Café & Wine Bar - Located in Jaco Walk. Try one of their signature dishes that people rave about including the cacao and coffee crusted tenderloin.
Rioasis Pizza - located in the center of Jaco just across the main bridge. Open since 1993, it’s the best pizza in the area.
Green Room Cafe - Catch live music any night of the week, right on main street. They also offer great cocktails and food.
Jaco Walk - is an open-air shopping plaza full of great restaurants, including: Tsunami Sushi, Graffiti, Pesca Seafood, Via Dell’Amore, Lone Star, Hartley Ranch, Britt Coffee Shop, Los Cafeteros for Colombian empanadas, Hola India, and Escappino for gelato. Jaco Walk also includes a playground, yoga studio, shops, and fun street fountains.
Vida Hermosa Restaurant - Located in Playa Hermosa, it's our favorite spot to watch the action on one of the most consistent beach breaks in Costa Rica. The food and atmosphere are great and we recommend it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They usually have a DJ on Sundays for sunset, check with our concierge for their schedule.
Bowie’s Point - We love Bowie’s Point in Playa Hermosa for great, casual al fresco dining right in front of the ocean. Tip: Pets are welcome including their very large and loveable pig on the beach named, Morita.
El Toro Beach Bar & Restaurant - Located in Playa Esterillos, right between Jaco and Manuel Antonio, Esterillos Beach is one of the nicest and longest beaches in the area. The restaurant sits under a grove of almond trees and is our favorite eatery in the area.
What To Do
Ready for Adventure? Get your adrenaline pumping, your imagination revving, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
- Crocodile Tour: Imagine getting up close and personal with these great wild beasts as your cruise along the Tarcoles River. An interesting and exciting tour, this is one that should not be missed.
- ATV Adventure Tour: 2-4 hours of fast and furious sight-seeing through the jungles of Costa Rica and some incredible waterfalls. Ride in side-by-sides or quads. HRG recommends at least 3 hours to make the most of it.
- Private Fishing Charter: There’s nothing quite like the excitement of wrestling a big, beautiful marlin in Pacific waters, with the “it was this BIG” story to share afterwards.
- Manuel Antonio National Park: One of the most eco-diverse parks in the country and a must do when in the area. Monkeys abound (watch out for your stuff - they’ll nab it if they can!) along with a plethora of other jungle flora and fauna. We have awesome guides and suggest a full-day van trip with our best guide.
- Canopy/Ziplining Tour: Take a leisurely ride right through the forest – or fly over the top like superman. An experience not to be missed and suitable for every member of your group, no matter the age.
- Private Surf Lessons in Jaco: You know you always wanted to learn! Now is your chance, with outstanding surf instructors, gentle waves and big, beginner boards that are readily available for rent. Great for the kids while the parents sip on a refreshing beverage and take photos.
- Horseback Riding and Waterfall Tour: This tour is a great way to explore the beauty of this special area up close.
- Tortuga Island Day Tour: Spend the day on beautiful Tortuga Island! Take a brand-new catamaran from Los Sueños Marina that includes a light breakfast, buffet-style lunch, activities, and unlimited margaritas!
- Hit a few rounds on the 18-hole Championship La Iguana Golf Course beginning at 6:20 AM. Golf cart with GPS is included. Note: prices change throughout the day, so be sure to ask ahead of time.
- Ocean Ranch Park has a variety of tours with many options for fun and adventure including waterfall rappelling and more! Bundles are also available for a great deal!
- Head to Playa Esterillos and Hotel Alma del Pacifico for a great day on the beach.
Looking For a Little Something Extra?
Watch the waves, catch a sunset, get pampered or just chill out. These are our suggestions that will put the cherry on top of your dream vacation at Los Sueños Resort.
Don't miss out on sunset at nearby Villas Caletas. Featuring a stunning Greek amphitheater, delicious drinks, and good company. You can’t go wrong!
Massage & Spa Services
An in-room massage after a long day of adventure is the perfect way to pamper yourself while on vacation. Send the kids to the pool and enjoy the peace and quiet of your luxury condo or villa. Receive a deep tissue massage while you truly sink into relaxation and let all your cares slip away. Massage isn’t the only spa service available; ask about in-house manicures, pedicures, hairstylists and more!
If you are looking to immerse yourself in the full spa experience, try the spa at Villa Caletas, or any of the other wonderful, world-class day spas within the resort or in Jaco. Just reach out to your concierge at HRG; we’ll schedule you in!
Los Vivos Beach Club
A day trip by boat, Los Vivos Beach Club experience offers the stay of a lifetime. White sand beach, crystal clear water and 100% organic food all in one place. All products used at Los Vivos are sustainable provided by Finca Orgánica El Tajo.
Sail Off Into the Sunset
Take a sunset cruise on a private catamaran. Just sit back, enjoy a refreshing drink, and watch the sun sink into the horizon, where you will find the true feeling of paradise.
Golf Cart Rentals
Be sure to ask the concierge desk about a great deal on a golf cart rental for the week. It’s a great way to get around the resort and the local area.
Catch Up on Your Reading
Grab a good book and lounge by the pool. With HRG you’ll have the option of your own private pool at your villa, the community pool at your luxury condo, or Los Sueños Beach Club.
Grocery Stocking Services
Take advantage of our grocery stocking services prior to and throughout your stay. Save your precious vacation time for your family and leave the grocery shopping to us! Just asked your HRG concierge.